Marvelous Machinery: Steam-powered Giants
Steam engines were the foundation of the Industrial Revolution. For nearly 120 years, steam-powered locomotives were the backbone of commerce, hauling passengers as well as cargo throughout the United States. Today, two of these "iron horses" are preserved, maintained, and operated in Georgetown and Silver Plume, Colorado. History Colorado and Historic Rail Adventures are pleased to share these train treasures with the public and welcomes your support as a rider and in their preservation efforts.
STEAM ENGINE NO.111
Engine 111 was built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1926. Upon completion, It was delivered to the International Railway of Central America in El Salvador. It was subsequently returned to the US to be used on the Sundown & Southern Railroad, which never ran it. After sitting on display in Breckenridge, Colorado, it was then moved to the Silver Plume station for rebuilding. It's been in service here at the Loop since 2016.
DIESEL ENGINE NO. 21
Rocky Mountain Steel Mills (formerly Colorado Fuel & Iron) of Pueblo donated the No. 21, a 1940s-era, 44-ton General Electric diesel/electric locomotive to the Colorado Historical Society to use for backup operations and maintenance at the park. The railroad industry nicknamed this particular type of locomotive "Critter" or "Big Critter." It pulled tons of steel ingots at the plant and operated in that capacity until the 1980s. The engine then sat idle and unnoticed in a field for many years. in 2004, staff at the plant, recognizing its historic value, made arrangements to donate it to the society.
Narrow gauge locomotives in this weigh class are becoming very rare because of modernization and the operational switch to standard gauge equipment.
PARLOR COACH #100
Parlor coach #100 was built in 1930 by the Pullman Company of Illinois as part of an order placed by the National Railroad of Mexico (N de M). It was subsequently purchased by Thomas J. Hinman and re-lettered as #900 to run on the Rio Grande & San Luis Railroad in 1968.
In 1971, it was relocated to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad in Chama, NM. It was used occasionally in passenger service but was mostly used as a film prop, and was notably featured in the 1975 film Bite the Bullet, starring Candice Bergen, James Coburn, and Gene Hackman.
It was acquired by the Georgetown Loop in 2015 and renamed “The Waldorf”.
ADDITIONAL ON-SITE ROLLING STOCK FOR THE RAILROAD
Excursion Cars/Passenger Cars
Denver & Rio Grande Western Railroad:
Open gondola, No. 705
Open gondola, No. 718
Open gondola, No. 746
Open gondola, No. 1036
Open gondola, No. 1157
Open gondola, No. 1163 Open rider car, No. 1172
Covered gondola, No. 1156 Covered/Open rider car, No. 1163 Covered riding car, No. 3
Boxcar, No. 3038
Boxcar, No. 3219
Boxcar, No. 3748 Boxcar, No. 3116 Commissary Boxcar, No. 03071
Speeder Car and Trailers:
Fairmont A4 Speeder, CN No. 19174
Display Cars, Denver & Rio Grande Western
Refrigerator Car No. 153
Drop Bottom Gondola No. 824
Box Car No. 3582
Stock Car No. 5701
Flat Car No. 6302
Maintenance Car No. 04953
Passenger Coach - Colorado & Southern No. 76 (on display)
Mail Car - Colorado & Southern No. 13 (on display)
Caboose - Denver & Rio Grande Western No. 0586 (on display)
Business Car -
Parlor/Dining Cars formerly of White Pass and Yukon Railroad:
Car No. 228
Car No. 282
Car No. 284 Car No. 274
Pullman Car formerly of National Railways of Mexico/Cumbres & Toltec Scenic:
Governor Bill Richardson